Preferred training type?

Hey WA Family! Just wanted to throw up a little discussion topic. Many training routines are more based around the concept of lower weight for more reps/sets with less rest (such as Crossfit excercises) and other training routines are more based on heavy weight sets that are more muscle specific (weightlifting excercises). So, which do you prefer? Given, people are different, as are the goals different athletes are looking to attain, and what aspect of fitness they want to have. Personally, I do a little of both. I do a lot of weightlifting, either at school or home, and I'll throw in a crossfit workout or a different routine every so often to keep from plateauing. I've never hunted in the high country, though it's a dream I plan on fulfilling in years to come. My goal is simply to wake up every day in the best shape of my life and be confident and prepared to take on any physical challenge. So what's you guys' basis on which you perform your training, and what general concepts are dominant in your routine?
5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • The #1 general concept IMHO is Hard Work, regardless of all other factors or training methods used. Are you working hard enough? I'll try to reply later with more specific details when i've got more time.

Reply Like
  • Variety is key, and I agree with throwing in different weight/rep ranges. In my personal workouts I cycle anywhere between 2-6 weeks on any given type program. Here we are in mid-August & I can honestly say that I have not done the same workout twice yet this year. I've got 9 more training days left on this routine before I get into my more "bow specific" routine to get ready for the Oct 1 bow opener for whitetail here in NY.
    Reply Like
  • For myself, I sometimes add variety simply for variety's sake. There is no need for training to be dull and boring. That being said, some (most) days i find i need to just get it done. A continual source of frustration for me is trying to carve out sufficient time in the busyness of life for training. (Career demands, family demands, 4 children under 9)

As for how I actually train (or try to as time allows) in one typical 3-part workout: (if i have a full hour or more)

1. Extended 2-part Warm up with athletic movement including: 1. Jumps (such as bounding, hopping, skipping rope, plyometrics, depth jumps) 2. Sprinting, (hills, change of directions, agility, obstacles, laterals).

2. Strength Movement or Lift of the day: Squats, or Hinge movement, Weighted Carries, and/or Upper body Push or Pull. Whatever rep/sets range i am focused on at the time.

3. If time allows. A finisher consisting of any amount of possibilities such as: conditioning, core work, mobility.

Again, this is a typical training day. It deviate from this a lot though, especially when short on time.

I personally place a big emphasis on Athletic movement. I no longer play sports on a regular basis, but I feel with athleticism you either use it or lose it.

Many typical training protocols will slowly but surely ruin your athleticism. The majority of guys who have been training for many years have worse athletic ability than they did 10 years earlier. It is a sad but true fact that as you age you naturally lose your ability to perform explosively and move freely into athletic positions without pain or restriction. At 33, i am just now finding this out.

Reply Like
  • I am just one person with one experience. I joined a CrossFit gym 6 years ago and can honestly say it continues to check every box for me. I tried to do it at home for a few months and it did not go as well. I need the accountability of my classmates who are now some of my closest friends. I am 48 and in the second best shape of my life. When I got out of the police academy in 1998 I asked our strength and conditioning coach what was the best training regiment. He said the one you love - cause that's the one you will do!

Reply Like
  • Typically, any "quality" program will progress you through a phase of everything you mentioned above. Rarely will you utilize a program that will not progress you through different phases. With my athletes, I utilize less hypertrophic exercises and more endurance, power, and strength. Occasionally, toward the end of the "off-seasons" workouts I will incorporate a cross-style training workout or HIIT workout (NOT crossfit) to add variety, muscular confusion, and overall cardiovascular endurance with resistance.

Reply Like
Like Follow
  • 1 yr agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 1687Views
  • 5 Following

Have A New Year's Resolution? So do we!